The Pirbright Institute provides expertise and capacity for laboratory investigations to monitor livestock for high consequence viral diseases and underpins global disease control efforts. Specifically, the Institute provides Reference Laboratories in respect of 10 exotic viral diseases of livestock. These Reference Laboratories work on behalf of national (Defra) and international organisations.
Reference Laboratories have skilled and expert personnel, validated diagnostic tests, essential reagents and archive materials (viruses, antisera), and in our case, facilities for experiments in animals, to respond to outbreaks in a timely manner. The principal services provided vary according to the client.
The services we can offer are listed in the categories below.
- Non-vesicular diseases
- Vesicular diseases
- Shipping & packaging
- Useful links
Our Reference Laboratories provide the following services to Defra:
- Tests to detect the pathogens or antibodies against them. This service is provided on a 24/7 basis
- Modification and validation of tests to deal with new, variant forms of the pathogens
- Laboratory characterisation of pathogens in order to determine their origin, make predictions about their likely mode of transmission and the success of different control strategies, such as vaccination
- Supply of specialist reagents and materials to other laboratories in case multiple diagnostic centres are needed to deal with a major epidemic
- Animal experiments with the pathogens in order to evaluate biological properties such as host specificity, routes of transmission and efficacy of vaccines
The services provided to international organisations (United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation, the European Union, and the World Organisation for Animal Health, OIE) include:
- Receiving samples from overseas for diagnosis and characterisation (strain-typing, vaccine-matching)
- Organisation of inter-laboratory comparative testing exercises
- Development and supply of reference materials and kits
- Animal experiments with the pathogens in order to evaluate biological properties such as host specificity, routes of transmission, and efficacy of vaccines
- Training scientists from other countries
Reference Laboratory funding comes from Defra, FAO and the EU.
We offer diagnostic services for:
- African horse sickness
- African swine fever
- Capripox viruses (goat pox, sheep pox and lumpy skin disease)
- Epizootic haemorrhagic disease virus
- Peste des petits ruminants
- Non-Vesicular Reference Laboratory: Bluetongue Export / Pre-movement testing: Sample submission form
- Non-Vesicular Reference Laboratory: General Sample Submission Form
Testing within the Non-Vesicular Reference Laboratory is subject to a 5 working day turnaround starting the day after receipt of sample.
We offer diagnostic services for:
- Foot-and-mouth disease
- Swine vesicular disease
- Vesicular stomatitis
- Vesicular exanthema of swine
For further information and specific enquiries please contact the relevant email address, listed below.
|Kit and reagent email@example.com|
Shipment of Infectious Material
The following film provides advice on the safe and secure packaging and shipment of infectious material to The Pirbright Institute ©.
Please ensure all samples are adequately packaged to prevent breakage, address the package to the department/personnel for which you are requesting services. For samples to be sent to the reference laboratory please see the Diagnostic Price List for details on where to send the samples. For everything else please us the address below:
Attention: [Contact person] [Non-Vesicular Disease Reference Laboratory/Vesicular Disease Reference Laboratory*] * - delete as appropriate
The Pirbright Institute
Please ensure sender information is given on the back of the package. Failure to do so may result in delayed results.
We offer the following training courses:
|Course title||Dates||Application deadline|
|Poultry Health Course||3-13 April 2017||17 March 2017|
|Diagnosis techniques for Capripoxviruses||3 - 6 April 2017||3 February 2017|
|Diagnosis of bluetongue and entomological techniques||TBC|
|Diagnosis of peste des petits ruminants||TBC|
|Diagnosis of foot-and-mouth disease||TBC|